In April 2020, Kourtney Kardashian took Poosh to her lifestyle blog share the secret Kim Kardashian’s thick, shiny hair: rice to water treatments. From there, practice – the ritual of ancient beauty Heian period in Japan-Yours viral on social media. “Rice Growing Water Hair” currently has 106.2 million views on TikTok, and the hashtag #ricewater hashtag includes nearly 60,000 posts filled with dazzling locks. Brands have also started to respond (Gen Z loves TikTok has an impact on both music industry and the world of beauty). It was marketed by Kitsch earlier this month a rice water protein shampoo and conditioner.
Although the treatment is catching on in the US, in many parts of the world, including China and Southeast Asia, they have long been reaping the benefits of rice water for hair.
Some basics of rice water:
- When rice is left to cook or soak, the excess water becomes a starchy substance that can be used to soothe hair, make it brighter, and help it grow faster.
- The treatment starch it covers your locks with protein to strengthen the branches and add shine.
- The rice is rich folate (A powerful vitamin B), amino acids, antioxidants and trace minerals like zinc and magnesium, all of which can help treat scalp on the skin and provide a healthy boost for thirst and brittle hair.
- Rice water can help smooth and remove hair.
With such simple ingredients (the recipe is literally rice and water), DIY opponents also want to try the treatment at home.
Aniska Soy Rice Water Water Treatment Recipe
* Soy is recommended to be used once a week for treatment
- 1 cup basmati rice x 3 cups water
- Rinse the rice, then combine with fresh water and rice.
- Rub the rice for five to 10 minutes to make sure all the nutrients are poured into the water.
- Sift the rice water into a pot. Add an orange peel to make it smell nicer.
- On low heat, heat the rice water on the stove for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Don’t let it boil.)
- Pour the water (peeled) into a bowl to cool, and place in a dark place for two to three days to ferment.
How to Use Rice Water on Hair
- After fermentation, shake the starch mixture and add it to the spray bottle. (The rest of the rice water can be refrigerated for a week.)
- Apply generously on the scalp and hair.
- Massage gently but thoroughly for a minute. Soy recommends not using nails.
- Leave the treatment for an hour or three. (Leave included for at least 20 minutes if you require time).
- In the shower, pour the remaining rice water over your hair and massage for a minute.
- Shampoo and condition as normal.
One note: Although the recipe is very simple, the treatment requires a bit of planning. Fortunately, several excellent beauty brands (including Kiehlena, YES, and Honey Organics) have included a healthy dose of rice water in the products if you want to cut the measurement and mix.
Have you tried rice water to grow your hair? Share your results and thoughts with us below.